Mission San Juan Bautista
The Old Mission San Juan Bautista began with a group of leather-jacket soldiers and a few native Americans watching a tonsured Franciscan priest raise his eyes and hands toward the sky…
Mission San Juan Bautista was founded on June 24, 1797 in what is now the San Juan Bautista Historic District of San Juan Bautista, California. Barracks for the soldiers, a nunnery, the Jose Castro House, and other buildings were constructed around a large grassy plaza in front of the church and can be seen today in their original form. The Ohlone, the original residents of the valley, were brought to live at the mission and baptized, followed by Yokuts from the Central Valley. Mission San Juan Bautista has served mass daily since 1797.
Mission San Juan Bautista is the largest of the Spanish missions in California.